20.3.12

Chicken Fried Rice

Chicken Fried Rice, page 142

I looked at the clock and it was already past 7. I 'd given little thought to what we would have for dinner. I was still trying to recover from the bacon splattered delicious, but messy cooking from earlier in the day. I flipped through The Feed Zone to see if there was something I could quickly make and landed on Chicken Fried Rice. I knew the boys enjoyed it when eating out, so why not while eating in.

I put rice on to boil, asked Jonathan to keep an eye on it. I headed to the grocery, making the best use of time. We were all getting grumble-y bellies. I picked up a rotisserie chicken instead of taking the time to cook chicken when I got home. When I got home, I had Elliott shred the breast, while Chas snuck by grabbed the drumsticks and shared some of the skin with DandyDog.

It was a quick, delicious, filling recipe for dinner and it reheated well the next day. I read that it was Lance Armstrong's favorite post-race dinner during the 2010 Tour de France. I wonder if I make a batch and carry it down to Galveston, as I achieve my goal and he races for a win, if he'd like to join me for a meal?

Kitchen Action:
Lacking in Pantry:
chicken, corn & green onions So, I went to the grocery.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
Rotisserie chicken instead of cooked chicken thighs, left out the corn, doubled the peas, yellow onion for green and used a mix of sesame and canola oil to "fry" the rice.
What I'll try next time:
I love the crunch of water chestnuts. I think I'll add in a can of these just for fun crunch.

How it scored:
Jonathan: 4 topped heavily with Sriracha sauce
'becca: 5, topped lightly with Sriracha sauce
Elliott: 5, It was good. No wait, I was just kidding. It wasn't good, it was GREAT!
Chas: 3, as long as all of the peas were picked out

4 comments:

  1. Just decided what is for dinner tonight! Samuel will be picking out the peas as well I'm sure! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO yummy! Especially w/ a kick of spicy drizzled on the top. It's sticky enough to eat w/ chopsticks (but I'm the only on who likes to eat the them). We are having chicken and white beans, I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome. I've been wanting to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I would love to know how yours turns out. Especially if you make additions. Thanks for following along with us.

      Delete