14.3.12

Breakfast for Dinner Part 2: Sweet Potato Cakes

Sweet Potato Cakes, page 51

I was really looking forward to this recipe. I didn't grow up eating sweet potatoes, but as a young adult discovered them and they are an absolute favorite. I've never made them sweet, always savory. Sometimes smashed, sometimes shredded, sometimes baked, but always with sea salt. The idea of marshmallows on top makes my tummy turn. Marshmallows are for roasting and packing* in bags when traveling to a new or revisited country.

These didn't turn out as I expected. I believe it was due to the setting I used on our blender and I think I cooked the potatoes too long. The recipe made 6 for me, of which I ate 3, less 1 bite. Have you made these? What was your blending technique? Recipe called for food processor, but I don't have one, so the blender it was. I think I should have used my hand smasher. Next time.

I've already shared Part 1 of Breakfast for Dinner, this is part 2, later this evening I'll post part 3. It's beautiful here. Sunny and a little breeze and a cardinal is on a branch singing just outside the window. I'm off for my 2nd run of the day. My coach has me doing some split run days in preparation for my race in a few weeks. I like it. Sure beats a 2:15 or mile repeats. Thanks, Chip!

Kitchen Action:
Lacking in Pantry:
I had everything, thanks to a trip to the grocery by Jonathan
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
I used a yellow onion, because that is what I had on hand and GF rice bread.
What I'll try next time:
The next time I make them I will simply pulse the blender instead of a times setting.

How it scored:
Jonathan: 3 (too much onion, oops)
Elliott: 3 Ate it, but wasn't his favorite. 
Chas: 1 Turned up his nose as soon as he heard "sweet potato". He did eat a bite and said he wasn't going to finish it. 
'becca: I really like it and even ate one the next day chilled.
DandyDog: He gobbled up the one I dropped on the kitchen floor quicker than I could pick it up. 5!

*Next time you pack your bags to explore a new land or share your gifts with others on a trip with a mission, pack a bag of marshmallows. They are not often found in other countries and are such a fun "American" food, loosely use the word food, to share. Peoples faces are often priceless when they take a bite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment