15.3.12

Buttermilk Pancakes

 Buttermilk Pancakes, page 70

After the breakfast for dinner which was more of a flop than a success for my kids, I had to skip ahead to this recipe. Stuffed peppers, waffles, stuffed french toast, in the mean time will have to wait to be shared.

Chas was in the kitchen this morning. Here in pictures and with his words are how it went:
I am reading the recipe, trying to figure out what one of the words says.
I'm trying to scratch my back.
I was figuring out if it was baking soda or baking powder and how much I needed.

Here I am stirring everything together in the bowl.
I am flipping the pancakes. I kinda missed with one, but it was OK.

When I look at these pictures I feel proud of myself. I cooked for my family. I cooked for me and my brother, Elliott. It was fun and tasted waaay better than the rice pancakes. I wanna make these again.
~ Chas


Kitchen Action:
Lacking in Pantry:
Not-a-thing. I even had buttermilk in the fridge.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
The milk was warmed and the wet ingredients were mixed together before folding into the dry.
What I'll try next time:
I'd like to see how the batter holds up in the fridge for a day. When it's fresh vs reheated, fresh most always wins. Unless it's chili.

How it scored:
Chas: Perfect
Elliott: 4
DandyDog: He begged, but did not receive. 

One thing I have discovered, as I am sure many parents have, is how the involvement of your kids in the kitchen can revolutionizes what happens around the table. Not only the food they eat, but the conversations they share. We have many teaching moments at the counter and many heart moments at the table. As the momma of active boys and many crazy days these moments shape who we are as a family. 

This morning I taught him a method of scooping and measuring the powder and soda out of the canister. If he tilted it a little and scraped it along the metal lid, he was able to get the exact amount needed and necessary to make the pancakes fluffy. Although when it came to the cinnamon, I shared that you could shake until it looked like enough or remove the hole-y lid and use the teaspoon to measure. When it came to spices, at times you can improvise according to taste. We also talked about what we will do later in the day and about his soccer game tonight. And we talked about clams. 

Here is one reason I love this kid:
After whisking the dry ingredients in the bowl he looked up at me and asked. "Momma, do clams really give you pearls?"

"Yes, clams really do give you pearls, kiddo. Isn't it cool how creative God is? That something like a grain of sand can turn into a pearl when stuck inside a shell." I hope today in some way, a clam, rough & bumpy, not so pretty on the outside, gives you a luster-y pearl. And when it does happen, I'd love to hear about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment