26.4.12

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Turkey Lettuce Wraps, page 204

"Are you going all P.F. Changs on us tonight?" Jonathan asked when I told him what we were having for dinner? "I'm trying," I replied, except I really wasn't because I was using masala spices. I do however feel safe eating there because of their GF menu. Did you know that they serve their GF meals on plates which are marked? The bowls have a thin black line around the edge. This recipe review is a bit ironic, as I am meeting a few girlfriends there today for lunch.

My favorite thing about this recipe are these words: 2 tablespoons favorite spice mix (Asian, Mexican or Indian curry blend), providing the opportunity to make this meal 3 times, 3 different ways. It's a 3 for 1, I love 3 for 1, especially when it's 3 cute summer-y dresses from Athleta for the price of 1. Tell me if you find that deal, okay or better yet, just surprise me and send them directly to my house.

I used one of my favorite spice blends I buy when in Rwanda, Tropical Heat's Chicken Masala, and I freshly ground fennel seeds. I like the combination of fennel and raisins, but the whole seed can be over powering. I knew if I wanted Chas to like it, they needed to be ground. It worked! He liked it. He did pick out the raisins and there was no way it would be wrapped in lettuce, but wrapped in a tortilla, minus the raisins and no peanut sauce -- he gave it a 5!

Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry: I didn't have lettuce, but ran to the grocery only to find they were out of the lettuce I wanted, boston, so I bought green leaf. It worked.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: I left out the onion and chilies on purpose. I used chicken masala spices with ground fennel as my spices, in the sauce I used unsalted natural peanut butter, but added salt, apple cider vinegar, not white and lemon, not lime.
What I'll try next time:
For my family, I may or may not try different spices in the meat. What I used went over well with everyone, so I hate to stray too far. I need to work on the sauce a bit more. If preparing for guests, I'd like to try it with an Asian mix and also Mexican. If using Mexican spices, I'll probably swap the peanut sauce for salsa.
How it Scored:
Elliott: 3.5
Jonathan: 4
Chas: 5
'becca: 4.5

As I type this, I have Savory Bread Cakes baking in the oven. I'll be taking them to fuel the Triple Threat Racing triathletes after a morning swim on Saturday and before a bike. Many of the families of TTR athletes and the coaches are cooking from The Feed Zone and are discovering how great they feel. Are you flying solo with The Feed Zone or are you cooking with a community?

No comments:

Post a Comment