11.4.12

Orange Almond Macaroons (5++)

Orange Almond Macaroons, page 101

Ohmigoodness. OhMiGoodNess! OHMIGOODNESS! This is love at first bite. I know, I know, not everyone is a coconut lover, but this pastry may convert you. It is absolutely delicious. I promise.

If you already have a copy of The Feed Zone, you know prior to each recipe there are a few words written about the recipe. With the introduction this one has I am fully convinced I am riding my bike on the wrong continent.
"Riders in the European peloton are fond of putting small pastries and sweets
 in their musette bags for a hit of sugar during the race." The Feed Zone, p 101
Are you with me? Wanna plan a trip to Europe and ride bikes? I'll bake the pastries. I just know I'd ride faster. These also pair quite well with strong, black coffee when you are driving your kiddo to 5 am swim practice. This I know.


Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry:
Not. A. Thing.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
I used more honey, not applesauce. I don't have a large food processor, so I mixed the first almonds the other ingredients, leaving out the coconut to form a paste. I then added the pasted to the coconut and then added that to the egg whites. It worked well. 
What I'll try next time:
I'll make it exactly the same way and may do so tomorrow. I have been thinking of drizzling with dark chocolate...

How it Scored:
'becca: 5++
My friend Amy: 5 (She agrees with the coffee pairing) 
People from our small group: 4's & 5's
Jonathan: 3 (but he's not a coconut fan)



No comments:

Post a Comment