28.4.12

Quiche

Quiche, page 63

As much as I dream of sleeping in until late in the morning on Saturday, most of the time I'm bright-eyed by no later than 6:30. This is sleeping in. Sad, but true and I know I'm not the only one. This morning, as the Nimrod boys rolled over for another 30 minutes of sleep, I cleaned the kitchen did 2 loads of laundry, folded 3, packed swim bags and made quiche.

Because I'm such a kind early riser, (insert a bit of sarcasm) I went to the garage to make the crust. No, I really did. Our blender is crazy loud and our house is small, I didn't want to disrupt their sleep-in, so I blended in the garage. Dear ones, cookers of The Feed Zone, this is the easiest crust you will ever make.

I used Italian bread, chilled butter, smashed it into a pie pan and baked it. The result -- Perfect! I'll use this method from now on when making quiche. It is not flaky like the crust I usually make, but it's most certainly less time consuming and Jonathan said it was very tasty.

I didn't check to see what ingredients I had to add to the filling until the crust was in the oven. I was out of spinach and didn't have broccoli. I used what I had, yellow, red and orange bell peppers, zima tomatoes and grilled chicken.

I pulled it from the oven just minutes before Elliott, Chas and I headed to the pool for TTR practice & my T3 workout. When we returned, half of the pan was empty. DandyDog? Nope, Jonathan.

Yesterday we received a request from Chef Biju. He would like the kids of TTR who are being fueled by The Feed Zone to play with the recipe on page 33, Muesli. Starting Monday, look for the recipes our family tries. I'll give you a hint, the first one involves flavored milk, not regular.

Happy Weekend, Feed Zone cookers and eaters. Enjoy your bike or run or swim or all of the above. We certainly will.


Kitchen Action

Lacking in Pantry: I mixed and matched, making the filling from the veggies and meat I had in the fridge.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: I did not include the optional nutmeg, added salt and pepper & I used almond milk
What I'll try next time: I'll try feta or goat cheese and probably do as I did today, use a mix of the veg and meat I have on hand.
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 4
(I baked a pan of Savory Bread Cakes for TTR kids to have after swim practice. The boys had this, instead of quiche, it still scores 4's & 5's.)
'becca: I made it w/ FG bread...maybe next time I'll make it GF.

No comments:

Post a Comment