12.4.12

Rice & Eggs


Rice & Eggs, page 59

Jonathan, my husband, is Liberian and being a Liberian, means rice was eaten almost daily for the first 22 years of his life. Upon moving to the States, to attend university and play basketball, he quickly realized that rice was not a staple in the diets of most Americans. Instead he was introduced to fast food and pop-tarts*, both of which, 20+ years later he is still not a fan.

I still giggle when he shares about his first meal in the States and then I get a little sad. No meal around the table, but served quickly on a tray. A meal which would be decided upon by standing, trying to choose between a bacon cheese burger and a single hamburger, from a wall plastered menu, not prepared with love.   (That is totally an assumption and quite possibly not the case.) When he shares the story the saddest part for me is this: by the time he'd opened his burger, the others at the table were nearly finished and ready to leave. He'd just had a bite. Those who were with him watched, almost in amazement, as he took his food off the tray, placed a napkin in his lap, carefully opened the paper to his burger making a place-mat, then taking time to eat it, bite by bite, not 3 bites and finished.

Rice for breakfast was not unusual for him, but rice topped with eggs was new. He laughed when I gave it to him for breakfast, saying, "You really like your new rice cooker, don't you." Then I showed him the recipe, he smiled and took a bite...


Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry:
Rice was already cooked and eggs in the fridge, had both on hand.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
I topped it with a sprinkle of Trader Joe's  21 Seasoning Salute and squiggly squirt of Sriacha
What I'll try next time:
I'll keep it the same
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 3.5 with the description: different
'becca: 4


* I had to google "poptarts" to find its correct spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment