10.4.12

Corn Cakes with Crisp Chicken


 Corn Cakes with Crisp Chicken, page 238

I am a a little over a month into this project and have shared bits an pieces of my life with you. A few of you have shared with me and I thank you. I'd love to hear more and seriously, that invitation I extended the very first day, still stands. If you are in the area, let's share a meal!

Today I thought I'd share a picture of what it looks like while I'm cooking. I'm a mess! I'm the kind of cook who must wear an apron and have 3 or 4 dish towels around at all times. Here it is, one of my most favorite spots in our home -- my cook top. It's a favorite spot because I get to make meals for my family and friends, but also because it has become a place for healing.

Food and I have not always been pals and I was a horrible cook when I was first married. Today, 13 years later (happy anniversary, Jonathan) I can say, after many meals of bland chicken breasts, Lipton rice packets and frozen vegetables I've come a long way. I'm not a fantastic cook, but the meals I prepare are healthy, prepared with love and that counts.

This journey through The Feed Zone has helped me in my journey to unwrap my mind from calorie counting and air filled rice cakes, wrapping it around healthy, whole and delicious food. This journey, it is making not not only me, but my family feel stronger. Now onto the recipe...Corn Cakes with Crisp Chicken!

This was our Easter dinner. Our plans changed a couple of days prior and time did not allow for me to grocery shop and prepare a traditional Easter meal. I had most of the ingredients on hand to make this meal, only missing an optional cheese addition.

I doubled the batch of corn cakes and have been enjoying them heated up and topped with almond butter and honey or butter and a bit of fresh ground, smoky sea salt. I have one left and will eat it as soon as I click, Publish.

Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry:
soft goat cheese
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
I didn't cook it with oil, but a bit of water in the pan which helped to make the raisins plump. I used a little less onion and more jalapeno and raisins.
What I'll try next time:
Oil...I'll use oil to saute the chicken and soak the raisins in hot water for 5 or 10 minutes before adding to the chicken.
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 2.5 because it was dry, he also wished we'd had goat cheese. He used feta, instead.
Elliott: 3 for the same reason
'becca: 4.5 Chicken was dry, but really delicious and the corn cakes...great GF snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment