27.4.12

Veggie Burgers

Veggie Burgers, page 213

As much as I wish were a family who juiced daily, we are not. We do however have a power juicer, we pull out on occasion. Yesterday was not one of those days. For this recipe I needed a cup of veggie pulp, co I improvised, placing carrots and apples in my blender. Using the whole juice setting, I ended up with a great pulp, drained it, drank the juice and used the pulp. Perfecto!
I chose cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and coriander as my spices...
Helpful hint: be very careful when flipping the burgers. I found that the ones which I shaped into a traditional burger patty worked better than the ones I shaped into a ball then smashed into a patty. When you are ready to flip them, let them cook one more minute, they take longer to brown than I expected. 
The fellas enjoyed theirs on a FG hamburger bun, where I had mine between 2 pieces of lettuce. This was a great alternative to beef or turkey burgers for our family, well, all but Chas.


Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry: Veggie pulp
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: As I shared above, I didn't have veggie pulp, so I made it. The apple added a sweetness, which I complimented with the following spices: dash of cinnamon and ginger,   3/4 t cardamom and 1/2 t coriander.
What I'll try next time: Use taco spice, p. 295, as the seasoning and top with salsa and avocado. Mmmm!
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 3.5
Elliott: 4
'becca 4.5
Chas: wouldn't try it when he realized beans were in the mix. Boo!

I've told you I'm a messy...here's proof. I served these with a sweet potato and onion smash, this was on the  counter opposite the cook top.

No comments:

Post a Comment