18.4.12

Dry-Spiced Chicken and Figs


Dry-Spiced Chicken and Figs, page 160

As I click back on recipes shares, many of these recipe review include one of two Nimrod life scenarios:  first one,  I made this for a meal with friends or the second, this was quickly made after practice. This one falls under scenario number two, after practice meal.

The combination of the spices in the dry rub and the figs gave this meal unique flavor and a fragrant aroma in the kitchen. In the hustle of the evening I forgot to cook rice and didn't have noodles, so it was eaten more like a stew than a gravy. I continue to enjoy the way so many recipes have the cook place the meat or fish in a baggie with flour and/or spices, dusting it prior to cooking.

I do not often use a slow cooker, but the note in this recipe shares how it could be used. If I were on top of things, I'd pull it from the back of the cabinet and set the rice cooker on delay cook, having a meal ready when we walk in the door from practice. Novel idea. Maybe I'll learn next season. Off to pick up my boys from school and head to their second Triple Threat Racing practice of the day. They swam at 5 this morning and this afternoon get to practice triathlon transitions. Gearing up for IronKids Kansas City in a month.

Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry:
egg noodles, chicken thighs & white wine
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes:
Chopped chicken breast for chicken thighs, red wine for white, baby carrots for large carrots chopped and buckwheat flour for rice or wheat flour
What I'll try next time:
I'd like to make it with bone in, skinless chicken thighs, use more figs and white wine.
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 4, said it would be great served over rice
Elliott: 4 and asked for it in his lunch the following day
Chas: 3.5, he only ate the chicken
'becca: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment