4.5.12

Muesli (sorta. kinda. ok, not really)

I'm feeling left out! I am unable to eat any of the recipes my boys have created. I am unable to eat oats. Yes, I know there are Certified Gluten Free Oats, but oats, GF or not, cause a very similar reaction inside my belly as wheat. This has been a fairly recent discovery for me and was unfortunately confirmed when I sampled every flavor of Bonk Breaker at the Galveston Half Ironman expo. I should have known better, but I have a serious weakness for almond butter and honey. From now on I will stick to rice cakes and ride waffles, which offer me no tummy troubles.

I thought I'd try to make a recipe similar to the ones my boys are making, but using cooked, chilled rice in place of old fashioned rolled oats.

Not really Muesli, Chocolate, Cherry
by a feeling left out mom, 'becca

 Above are the ingredients I used: plain Greek yogurt, chocolate almond milk, cooked & cooled rice, dried cherries.
It was delicious and will be something I make again in the future. I know it will be refreshing this summer after a workout in the heat and humidity of the Ozark Mountains.

Recipe
Ingredients ~
1 cup cooked & cooled rice
1/2 cup chocolate almond milk
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup dried, tart cherries

Method ~
Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. If you forget to make it the night before, you can combine the ingredients and enjoy it after, but it it best after an overnight soak.

Review:
I'll stick to unsweetened vanilla almond milk, my favorite and maybe sticky rice. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't outstanding. It will be refreshing after a hot and humid ride or even as an end of the day sweet treat. If you, like me, are unable to oats and are also GF let me know what you think about this recipe. It is not from The Feed Zone and it is not something which Dr. Lim or Chef Biju make or use. It is purely the result of a mom who watched her kids make recipes she was unable to eat and her husband enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment