18.7.12

Frittata with Red Pepper Oil

Frittata with Red Pepper Oil, page 216

Well, look-y who joined me in the kitchen to make this meal, my super eater {feel the sarcasm} Chas! I had a bit of a medical scare last week, which led to a conversation about taking care of our bodies as healthy prevention. My boys didn't quite understand how a person can make do their best to make healthy choices about food and exercise, but still be at risk for disease.  Hard conversations for a momma to have. Without teaching Punnent squares and talking about wrinkled peas, I did my best.  Maybe it was enough to get this little guy to add a bit of green to his diet.

Chas was a master with the whisk, our eggs ended up a little more than lightly beaten, but fluffy nonetheless. I didn't have the exact herbs in pots on my deck, nor did the grocery have them. I like tarragon, I need to grow it.


For the Red Pepper Oil, I used marinated red peppers. I used more of them than called for, less oil and a bit more salt. The bowl, container, top - what's it called - to the blender was in the dishwasher, so I used my little chopper, which was perfect. This oil would be delicious on all sorts of dishes, but especially on egg dishes.


{Chas whisking away} Parents, do you have a son or daughter who simply does not like to eat anything green? Does it concern you? Do you make them sit at the table until they eat the number of peas or leaves of spinach equal to their age? Do you give them a vitamin? Do you just let let it slide? Help!

What I do -- I don't fight the battle. I explain that it's best for their body to eat a rainbow of food and treats in moderation. It is the only body they will have and they need to treat it with respect and fuel it properly. I have healthy choices available, but then I buy Twizzlers to take to a ball game. Just being honest, but is this wrong?



Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry: tarragon
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: more eggs
What I'll try next time: start growing tarragon in the spring.
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 4
Elliott: 4
'becca: 4.5 and then again in the morning chilled without the oil, 4
Chas: 5 for preparation, but no score for tasting it. He doesn't like peppers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete