9.7.12

Pan-Seared Sole

Pan-Seared Sole, page 222

Wait, what is that photo? Where is the fish? Well, it's just the pan which is highly seasoned with bacon grease. You will often find it on my cook-top because well, bacon is a favorite of a few of us living under this roof. OK, we all enjoy it and Chas, well he asks for it almost daily. Do you have a favorite bacon pan?

On to the real meal...Pan-Seared Tilapia. No Sole at my grocer and I wasn't headed on a search. The intro said any mild-flavored white fish works well, so I took it at its word and it did. I will admit though that it was the Mango Salsa that made this meal. I sear Tilapia fairly often, it's easy, mild and a quick source of protein, but the salsa set it apart.
I didn't have orange juice, so I used an orange and squeezed it. I tried to squeeze and get a fancy foodie blog photo of the juice dripping from the orange, but we all know this is not a foodie blog and I'm not a food photographer, so here is a blurry attempt at my efforts in college form...look on friends, look on...
I nixed the grapeseed oil in the salsa, because I watch the tour, I don't race in the tour & we like bacon, remember. (How 'bout those time trials today? Speedy!)
Mango Salsa...DELICIOUS! Great with the fish. Great on a spoon. Great with brown rice. I'm sure it's great with almost anything. Even topping a crispy strip of maple bacon. 

I prepared the fish as the recipe suggested and served it over a bed of brown rice and topped it with the salsa. I didn't set the table, rather, quickly threw down place mats, napkins and silverware. Great way to end the first day of the week. Time around the table with my 3 favorite guys and a yummy meal. 

Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry: Nothing, because I went to the grocery with a list.
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: 1 mango, not 2, green onion instead of sliced red, fresh orange squeeeeeezed, instead of orange juice, no grapeseed oil in the salsa, but a bit in the pan to cook the fish and I added a bit of salt and pepper to the salsa
What I'll try next time: double or triplet the batch of salsa & make tacos the next day or just eat chips and salsa for dinner.
How it Scored:
Jonathan: 3.5
'becca: 5, loved it!
Elliott: 4 for the fish, but wasn't a fan of the salsa
Chas: see photo below...sheesh!


No comments:

Post a Comment