20.6.12

Pork Green Chili

Pork Green Chili, page 181


I shared yesterday that life has been busy, really busy, the past few weeks. Finding myself with my head barely above water a few times, I also found heart thankful. Realizing this once again: When you are living life in a community you love, you may be fighting to keep your head above water, but really, it's unnecessary. Why? Because that community, family, will carry you to shore. They will be the calm, the close, the support.


I fully intended to fix the boys and their favorite gal pals the recipe on page 208, but when there was no yeast in the pantry, I had to change plans. I didn't want to head to the grocery again, so I made a not so summery, on the first day of summer chili. It was filling and delicious and when we added a bit of sour cream to the kids bowls and cilantro-mint yogurt sauce to mine, it gave it a hint of summer. 

How will you celebrate this day? What will you eat and drink? Who will you share it with? Where will you share? The kids, mine and the Beard girls, and I celebrated with a trip to Sonic for 1/2 price milkshakes and will soon jump in the lake. I will take the kids to do their Triple Threat Racing open water swim workout, then enjoy a cool drink on the deck with their momma. She's one of my favorites and one I spoke of above...a calm. a close. a friend. Thanks Amy for carrying me to shore. 

Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry: Pork to cube, fresh chilies & red beans
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: Subs...Ground pork for cubed pork, canned chilies for fresh, white beans for red Adds...Bragg's, apple cider vinegar, extra chili powder and cumin
What I'll try next time: I think it would be great with cubed pork, although the ground pork worked well.
How it Scored:
Amelia: 5
Gillian: 5
Chas: 1
Elliott: 5
'becca: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment