16.10.12

Chicken Tacos

Chicken Tacos, page 130

I cut the chicken into small chunks in the morning before leaving the house. I added the onion, chiles, spices and lime juice to the mix, stirred it, then placed it in the refrigerator for the day. 
It should come as no surprise that this was an after soccer dinner and having the chicken ready to put in the skillet helped me fix dinner quickly. I'd also set a delay on the rice cooker, knowing that it would be ready just as soon as we were ready to eat. Making sure that I do preparation for dinner earlier in the day, if I am able, gives us more time around the table before teeth are cleaned, prayers are said and we drift into dreams. 

What helps you? I'm always looking for new ways that will give me an extra few minutes of "table time" with my boys. It's the best part of my day. I'm a complete failure at meal planning. Wait, usually*, mostly, ok almost always, I'm a complete failure at meal planning. I'm an almost daily grocery shopper. I do better when a recipe has pictures, than detailed instructions and my imagination. If I see a recipe tweet in my stream or thumb through a new magazine or it's Wednesday and the Food section is in the newspaper, I'll scrap the scheduled meal on the plan, I mean if I had one, and make what sounds good. Thus the reason for my daily trip to the grocery.

So, what about you? Do you plan for the week? Month? Do you see what The Pioneer Woman is fixing on her ranch? Do you grocery shop daily or a few times a week or do a giant shop at Sam's for the month? I'd love to know. 

A quick apology for my absence lately. Currently I have 4 recipes ready to share, but I need to add the photos & details. I'm working on it today. 

Kitchen Action
Lacking in Pantry: 2 mild green chiles
Additions, Subtractions or Method Changes: I used a can of small diced green chilies, I marinated the meat in the spices, onion and chiles.
What I'll try next time: I didn't make the spicy slaw this evening. I've made it before and can see how well the two would pair together. When I make it again, I'll make the two together.
How it Scored:
Yes -- FIVE's all around the table.

*When Jonathan travels, I scrap the daily trips to the grocery & meal plan. We have quesadillas.
Almost, 
Every 
Single
Night. 
Chicken. Cheese. Bean. Chicken & cheese. Cheese and bean. Chicken, cheese and bean. Chicken and Greek yogurt. Chicken, Greek yogurt & bean.  Ground turkey or beef or venison. Except no more venison. We've finished what we were given last year by my brother-in-law and this Nimrod family, we are not hunters. Don't even own a gun. If you like to hunt and have extra, I'll pay processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment